Tuesday, July 20, 2010

the fine art of living, part one

I will never forget that drunk in that horrible bar in my hometown that struck up a conversation with us. years ago. appearing homeless, he was very out of place in the chaos of trendiness and the deep well of shallow. I suppose that is why we found his ramblings so engaging.. I'll never forget the last sentence at the end of his improbable preachings. he stated in his own pleading way of defining disbelief..."you gotta keep it simple, that way no one gets hurt."

I love my life and the way my soul feels inside my heart and mind. I love my family and friends. I love my beautiful woman. I love music and words. I love pushing my body to its limits. I love the amazing things people I love bring into my life. I love the world in its natural glory. I love old cars, old houses, old guitars and bringing new life to them. I love creating. I love good food and good beer. I love demolishing structures that have been abused and ruined. I love making music.

I spent decades as a very angry young man. doing things that only added fuel to the fire. I look back on it with a sort of foolhardy nostalgia of disbelief, but not regret in any way.

but I'm not such a young man any more. and in this day and age why waste precious time? I won't be annoyed or bothered, or hateful, or depressed or jealous. I will not let these things fill up my life. I haven't, and I won't.

"life is yours to destroy or fulfill" and I truly hope all can find their way to choose beauty over tragedy.

3 comments:

  1. you inspire me more than anyone i have ever known.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is an amazing thing to say. I hope you know how much you inspire me too.

    ReplyDelete